Ohana Biosciences is seeking a motivated and innovative scientist to lead our protein engineering efforts.
This role is an exciting opportunity to make a highly impactful contribution to the success of Ohana Biosciences. This individual will design engineering strategies to develop multispecific antibodies and affinity-mature and humanize antibodies. He/she will use display technologies (phage/yeast) or high-throughput transient expression methods as a tool to screen the engineered candidates and also contribute to campaigns for novel antibody discovery. Candidates should have a strong background in protein design preferably with antibodies. They will contribute to the execution of experiments in the laboratory and also be expected to manage at least one research associate. Close collaboration with project teams to develop solutions for intriguing scientific questions is key for this role.
Ohana is pioneering a new frontier in reproductive medicine. Built upon a world-leading understanding of sperm biology, Ohana has created a best-in-class proprietary platform with broad applications across reproductive medicine. We are developing field-defining new products to improve sperm quality and function to address infertility, prevent inherited disease, and produce a long-acting, reversible, non-hormonal male contraceptive.
What You’ll Do
· Design engineering strategies to develop multispecific antibodies and affinity-mature and humanize antibodies
· Use display technologies (phage/yeast) or high-throughput transient expression methods as a tool to screen the engineered candidates and also contribute to campaigns for novel antibody discovery
· Contribute to the execution of experiments in the laboratory and manage at least one research associate
· Collaborate closely with project teams to develop solutions for intriguing scientific questions
What Skills You’ll Bring
· Ph.D. in Biology, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Structural Biology or related science
· Demonstrated track record in successfully humanizing and affinity maturing antibodies
· Significant experience with protein modeling software
· Deep understanding of antibody structure and function
· Experience with analytical techniques (DSC, DLS) to assess developability properties of antibodies
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as outstanding collaboration & interpersonal capabilities
Desired Skills & Qualifications
· Experience with display technologies (phage/yeast) for antibody discovery and engineering
· Experience with protein crystallography (data collection and structure determination)
· Ability to think critically and creatively as part of a fast-paced research team, while being highly independent and self-motivated
· Dynamism and scientifically-excellent problem solving
· Enthusiasm for pushing the frontiers of conventional techniques and comfort in venturing beyond one’s area of expertise
· Innovation and ability to thrive in a fast-paced and evolving environment
· Demonstrated track record of generating high quality data
· Detail-oriented and capable of multi-tasking in a small, dynamic team.
· Demonstrated ability to understand and apply scientific literature, research data and technical input, combined with use of novel approaches, to meet platform goals
What We’ll Offer You
· Daily on-site snacks, coffee, and Bevi, as well as monthly catered lunches.
· Comprehensive, competitive healthcare (PPO) and dental coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield, and vision coverage through VSP.
· Life insurance and disability through USAble Life.
· A 401K retirement plan.
· 15 days vacation and 5 sick days per year, as well as 10 company-paid holidays.
Why Join Ohana Biosciences
Based in Cambridge, MA, Ohana is a venture-funded early-stage startup founded by Flagship Pioneering in 2015 through its venture creation engine, which founded over 40+ breakthrough companies including Seres Therapeutics, Agios, Rubius, Moderna, Editas, Denali and Codiak.
Ohana Biosciences is revolutionizing male reproductive medicine with a world-leading understanding of sperm biology through rigorous science. We will responsibly develop technologies that:
· Prevent inherited disease;
· Deliver a highly effective, safe, reversible, non-hormonal contraceptive; and
· Treat male infertility, traditionally ignored but responsible for half of infertility issues.
We strive to maximize access to our treatments that address the broad reproductive needs of individuals and families.
Our enthusiasm, ambition, drive, and creativity, coupled with our unique blend of innovation, basic biology and business focus, creates an exciting entrepreneurial environment set to disrupt an area of medicine in need of substantial improvement for patients.
If you are interested in joining Ohana, pleasecheck out our website www.ohanabio.com.