This role is an exciting opportunity to make a highly impactful contribution to the success of Ohana Biosciences.
The Assay Development Scientist/Senior Scientist will report to our Principal Scientist Isabelle Sansai-Castellano and will play a key role in establishing medium to high-throughput screening assays for human sperm, supporting Ohana’s mission of transforming reproductive medicine. Planned readouts include calcium and potassium flux, changes in motility, hyperpolarization, flow cytometry and immunofluorescence. Experience with designing novel experimental strategies and cell-based assays compatible with medium to high-throughput formats is necessary. Close collaboration with project teams to develop solutions for improving the throughput of challenging assays is key for this role. In addition, this individual should thrive in a fast-paced and demanding startup environment.
Ohana is pioneering a new frontier in reproductive medicine. Built upon a world-leading understanding of sperm biology, Ohana has created a best-in-class proprietary platform with broad applications across reproductive medicine. We are developing field-defining new products to improve sperm quality and function to address infertility, prevent inherited disease, and produce a long-acting, reversible, non-hormonal male contraceptive.
What You’ll Do
· Establish medium to high-throughput screening assays for human sperm.
· Design novel experimental strategies and cell-based assays compatible with medium to high-throughput formats.
· Work closely with project teams to develop solutions for improving the throughput of challenging assays.
What Skills You’ll Bring
· Ph.D. in Biology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology or related science and at least three years of post-doctoral experience, preferably in the bio-pharmaceutical industry.
· Demonstrated technical expertise in multiple cell biology and biochemistry techniques including flow cytometry, fluorescence microscopy, and plate-based assays.
· Technical leadership in cell-based functional assays, with the ability to design, develop and execute assays from inception through validation. Accountable for selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria.
· Experience processing and analyzing data generated from medium to high throughput screens.
· Demonstrated ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment.
· Ability to work with limited supervision. Capable of designing and interpreting experiments, workplan and execution with minimal direction.
· Outstanding time management abilities.
· Experience with transferring and optimizing assays using liquid handling equipment (Hamilton, Tecan, Agilent, Beckman) preferred.
· Other preferred expertise includes designing and executing design of experiments (DOE) strategy.
What We’ll Offer You
· Daily on-site snacks, coffee, and Bevi, as well as monthly catered lunches.
· Comprehensive, competitive healthcare (PPO) and dental coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield, and vision coverage through VSP.
· Life insurance and disability through USAble Life.
· A 401K retirement plan.
· 15 days vacation and 5 sick days per year, as well as 10 company-paid holidays.
Why Join Ohana Biosciences
Based in Cambridge, MA, Ohana is a venture-funded early-stage startup founded by Flagship Pioneering in 2015 through its venture creation engine, which founded over 40+ breakthrough companies including Seres Therapeutics, Agios, Moderna, Editas, Denali and Codiak.
Ohana Biosciences is revolutionizing male reproductive medicine with a world-leading understanding of sperm biology through rigorous science. We will responsibly develop technologies that:
· Prevent inherited disease;
· Deliver a highly effective, safe, reversible, non-hormonal contraceptive; and
· Treat male infertility, traditionally ignored but responsible for half of infertility issues.
We strive to maximize access to our treatments that address the broad reproductive needs of individuals and families.
Our enthusiasm, ambition, drive, and creativity, coupled with our unique blend of innovation, basic biology and business focus, creates an exciting entrepreneurial environment set to disrupt an area of medicine in need of substantial improvement for patients.
If you are interested in joining Ohana, pleasecheck out our website www.ohanabio.com.